Wednesday 16 February 2011

Interview with Japanese Ralph Lauren Polo Collector Naoto Kikuchi

Interview with Japanese Ralph Lauren Polo Collector Naoto Kikuchi






Firstly We'd like to ask how long you've been collecting and wearing Ralph Lauren for?


I've been wearing Ralph Lauren since 1992 and I was 17 years old at that time.
I accumulated my collection of Ralph Lauren since then and I continue to buy Ralph Lauren now.
I'm also collecting clothing now that wasn’t available at that time.





What we're you're reasons behind collecting and what was your first memory of seeing a Ralph Lauren product?


I first started collecting when I was working as a mop top dancer in 1992. My first memory of seeing Ralph Lauren clothing was when I saw Wreckin Shop live from Brooklyn (Alive TV) and also Zhigge's music videos.
At that particular time, most of the Japanese dancers were influenced by clothing labels such as Ralph Lauren Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Guess and Fila.





Out of all the Ralph Lauren Clothing ranges what is your favourite and why?


My favourite Ralph Lauren Line is the 1992 range as this is what influenced me the most and it was the best looking.





Is there a group of you in Japan that collects or are you on your own, if so do you meet up like the guys in New York?


We don’t have a group like the Lo-Life’s from New York It just never existed here I think that’s it’s a real shame.
I would like to have the opportunity meet the Lo-Life’s and vintage Ralph Lauren collectors from New York.





Finally what do you think of the ever growing popularity of vintage Ralph Lauren, Is it a good thing or is it damaging the original movement?


This is a hard question to answer. I think the popularity of vintage Ralph Lauren is a good thing
but vintage Ralph Lauren has become very expensive, in my opinion it’s damaging the original movement.
There are a large number of people who’re reselling vintage Ralph Lauren for a high price , this pursuit of selling for profit has increased on auctions sites in Japan
It’s comparable to Nike Air Jordan’s, Nike Air Max and G-Shock in the 1990's.












Share/Bookmark

0 comments: